On April 12, 2020, Dorzema filed a class action Complaint against Baltusrol Golf Club in the Law Division of the Superior Court of New Jersey, Essex County, which is assigned case number ESX-L-002227-22.
Scope of the class:
The lawsuit is currently brought on behalf of all individuals who worked as Golf Caddies at Baltusrol since August 6, 2019.
Plaintiff, however, has made a request to the Court to expand the scope of the class to include golf caddies who worked at Baltusrol since April 12, 2016. The Court’s decision on this request is pending.
Claims in the lawsuit:
The lawsuit alleges the following causes of action on behalf of the class action members:
- Unpaid Overtime under the New Jersey Wage and Hour Law. The Complaint alleges Defendant failed to pay its golf caddies overtime wages.
- Failure to Pay the Minimum Wage under the New Jersey Wage and Hour Law. The Complaint alleges Defendant failed to pay its golf caddies the statutory minimum wage.
- Retaliation on behalf of Dorzrema. The Complaint alleges Defendant retaliated against Dorzema by firing him after he filed this complaint.
- On April 12, 2022, the Complaint was filed.
- On July 29, 2022, Defendant filed a motion to dismiss, seeking to dismiss both New Jersey Wage and Hour Law claims.
- On February 9, 2023, the Court denied Defendant’s motion in its entirety.
- On March 15, 2023, Defendant filed its Answer.
- On April 12, 2023, Plaintiff filed a motion to file an amended complaint in order to (i) redefine the putative class, (ii) assert a retaliation claim, and (iii) add Muhammad as a named plaintiff. Defendant did not oppose Plaintiff’s request to add Muhammad as a named plaintiff.
- In June 2023, Defendant consented to add Sweeney as a named plaintiff.
- On July 7, 2023, the Court heard oral arguments on Plaintiff’s motion to amend, at which it granted Plaintiff’s request to assert a retaliation claim. We are still waiting on a decision with respect to our request to redefine the putative class.
*This update is current as of July 10, 2023.